Learn How to Get Rid of Hydrogen Sulfide: The “Rotten Eggs in My Water”

Hydrogen Sulfide: The “Rotten Eggs in My Water”Do you dread turning on the hot water in your shower or sink? Does the smell of rotten eggs take over your house as soon as the water runs? Chances are, you are dealing with hydrogen sulfide.

Hydrogen sulfide is a poisonous gas that is formed by sulfur-reducing anaerobic bacteria. These bacteria feed on organics in groundwater, and trace elements of iron and magnesium can catalyze their growth and development. While the gas is rarely in high enough concentration to be a danger, it is certainly unpleasant. It can also damage your pipes, as it renders water slightly acidic, leading to corrosion in copper, lead, and steel piping. It can even ruin the ion-exchange media in water softeners.

The good news is that there are several ways to get rid of hydrogen sulfide. Oxygenation, filtration, and chemical injection systems (using chlorine, potassium permanganate, hydrogen peroxide, or even ozone) can all be used to oxidize hydrogen sulfide and reduce it to its basic elements. Carbon filters can also be used to filter lower levels of hydrogen sulfide.

WCC’s new video explains more about hydrogen sulfide and ways to get rid of it: Hydrogen Sulfide:  The “Rotten Eggs in My Water.

If you are dealing with hydrogen sulfide, contact Water Control Corp. to learn more about the different methods available to help you fix the problem.

Source: WCC

Want news delivered right to your inbox?

Sign up for our free newsletter, delivered every other Thursday.

Scroll to Top