Upcoming ASPE educational opportunities in 2019
- January 10: The Drainage Selection for Hygienic Applications one-hour webinar will discuss ways that hygienically designed drainage systems and an informed selection of drainage products can help mitigate the risk of contamination and corrosion. This webinar awards 0.1 CEU or 1.0 PDH.
- Just announced! January 30: Our popular one-hour webinar on Medical Gas Changes to NFPA 99 presented by Mark Allen will discuss the major changes to the 2018 edition of the code, offer background on why the changes were made, and explain how the changes may impact medical gas and vacuum system designs. This webinar awards 0.1 CEU or 1.0 PDH.
- February 21: The Intermediate Plumbing Design Workshop in Irvine will cover sizing and selecting multi-stage pressure regulators, valves, flue and combustion systems, pumps, and equipment and fixtures. Participants will receive 0.75 CEUs or 7.5 PDHs for attending.
- February 22 (Irvine) and February 27 (Pittsburgh): The one-day Medical Gas Design Workshop will feature a step-by-step discussion of regulations as well as sizing and selecting piping, valves, alarms, and source equipment. Each workshop awards 0.7 CEUs or 7.0 PDHs.
- February 28 – March 1: The Basic Plumbing Design II Two-Day Workshop in Pittsburgh will cover laying out and sizing basic plumbing systems, calculating and sizing equipment, and coordinating with the architectural layout, building structural elements, and other trades. This workshop awards 1.3 CEUs or 13.0 PDHs for attending.
California mandates solar power for new homes
On December 5, the California Building Standards Commission voted unanimously to approve new energy standards that would require homes built in 2020 and later to be solar powered. More>>
PMI publishes guidelines for indoor recycled water use
The parameters were developed for the benefit of water utilities to ensure that plumbing products function as intended by manufacturers, but they are not intended to serve as guidance for public health and safety or for plumbing products used for bathing, cooking, drinking, or hygiene. More>>
Lead-free brass alloy is created
The alloy, developed by material scientists at UNSW Sydney and named "bright brass," was designed to retain all of the advantages that lead provides to brass for its manufacturing but without the toxicity. More>>
Deadline to submit comments for the 2021 UPC and UMC is January 3, 2019
The public comment form, as well as instructions and background on IAPMO's ANSI-accredited consensus-development process, can be found here.
New standard for water treatment equipment utilizing drinking water is now available
ASSE 1087-2018 covers all water treatment products that are connected to the building's plumbing system for potable water. More>>
ASHRAE publishes updated residential construction standard
The 2018 revision of Standard 90.2 outlines cost-effective residential building energy performance measures that are at least 50 percent more efficient than those defined by the 2006 International Energy Construction Code. More>>
Registration is open for the 2019 WQA Convention & Exposition
In addition to the education sessions and Expo being held at the Las Vegas Convention Center on April 23–25, WQA is also holding its second annual WQA Business Boot Camp on April 26 at the Wynn Las Vegas. More>>
EPA seeks public comments on PFAS chemicals
The agency is looking for input on draft toxicity assessments being developed to help municipalities assess risks and develop risk management plans. More>>
Get giveaways and presentation tools for Engineers Week and Girl Day
DiscoverE offers numerous items to help engineers celebrate these events, including giveaways, certificates, tent cards, t-shirts, and free kits. You can find everything at their online store.
ICC announces the 2019 Building Safety Month theme
Next year, the theme of this international campaign celebrated in May to raise awareness of building safety will be "No Code. No Confidence." More>>
USGBC and BRE partner to advance green buildings
The objectives they will immediately pursue are to embrace a digital strategy, establish industry-wide common data standards and protocols, and increase the level of engagement of existing buildings in measurement and reporting, among others. More>>
ASPE Pipeline Supporter: