2017 Webinar Series
Professional Liability Issues for Engineers
Presented by Peter D. Welin, a 2017 Tech Symposium Speaker
September 13, 2017 - 2 pm EDT
Earn Continuing Education Credits: This one-hour contact program awards 0.1 CEU or 1.0 PDH.*
This one-hour webinar provides an introduction into professional liability issues that confront all design engineers. The program is designed to give an overview of professional liability issues that arise, the types of insurance coverage available and some of the legal issues that confront all design engineers. The program will also delve into what constitutes an error or omission, the difference between statutes of limitation and statutes of repose and what to look for in contracts that will impact liability exposure. .
- Professional Liability Exposure and Risk Mitigation
- Risk Overview at Outset of Project
- Ideas on How to Manage Risks that are Identified
- Professional liability Insurance
- Claims Made vs. Occurrence Policies
- Self Insured Retention Amounts
- Declining Balance provisions
- Limits of Liability & Indemnification
- Limitations of Liability – are they enforceable?
- Beware of Breadth and Scope of Indemnification Obligations
- What Constitutes an Error or Omission
- Standard of Care
- Spearin Doctrine/Spearin Gap
- Statutes of Limitation and Statutes of Repose
- How long am I liable for a project’s design after it has been constructed?
- Economic Loss Doctrine
- Contract Document review
- Killer Clauses to be Aware of
- What to do when things go wrong
- Insurance Coverage
- Duty to Defend
- Additional Insured Status
- General Liability Coverage Issues
The Presenter: Peter D. Welin
Peter Welin is a practicing construction lawyer in Columbus, Ohio. He represents owners, architects, engineers contractors and subcontractors in all aspects of construction litigation disputes. He is also an American Arbitration Association arbitrator and mediator and lectures regularly on risk mitigation and contract issues affecting all participants in the construction industry. Pete is a graduate engineer from Iowa State University (BSCE 1979) with a law degree from The Ohio State University (JD 1988).
Are you attending the 2017 Tech Symposium? Good news for you! Peter is presenting this topic during the conference, so if you'd like an introduction to this topic followed by a more thorough discussion at the event, or if you'd like to sit in on a different session register for this webinar today!
Click here to register for the webinar. Registration closes on September 12, 2017 at 5 pm EDT.
Members first time viewing: $70
Members previously viewed: $0
*This webinar does not offer PDHs for registered Professional Engineers in New York State.