Overall supervision of ASPE's design standards activities is the responsibility of the Main Standards Committee. The Main Standards Committee is the consensus body having responsibility for the review and approval of all ASPE Design Standards. The Main Standards Committee may assign specific activities to Technical Committees; however, final approval of actions related to Standards need to go through the consensus process of the Main Standards Committee.
Participation in the standards process is open to all persons who are directly and materially affected by the activity in question. Participation may be through membership on the Main Standards Committee or a Technical Committee.
Voting membership on the Main Standards Committee is not conditional upon membership in ASPE, nor unreasonably restricted on the basis of technical qualifications or other such requirements. Members are expected to serve for a term of not less than one year.
The duty of each member is to give thorough consideration to each subject brought before them for action, to vote on approval or disapproval of each proposal, to contribute his/her expertise in the preparation of standards, to advise on membership on the committee and subordinate groups, and to assist generally in carrying out the functions of the committee. Such duties shall be carried out by attendance at meetings, by correspondence, and by telephone, teleconference, or other electronic means.
The duties of the Main Standards Committee are:
- Develop standards within its charter.
- Maintain standards within its charter (at a minimum, each standard shall be reaffirmed, revised, or withdrawn within five years after its approval).
- Achieve a consensus in accordance with these Procedures for the action proposed on a standard.
- Ensure that duplication of standards or conflict with other standards is minimized through utilization of national and international standard development networks.
- Approve interpretations of standards.
Main Design Standards Committee
Andrew McClure, Jacobi Carbons Inc.
Rebecca Tallon, PE, Pentair
Regu P. Regunathan, ReguNathan & Associates, Inc.
Deborah Ohler, Ohio Board of Building Standards